Thursday, July 7, 2011

Gooder'n Grits

If only I had the accent to go with this southern phrase. Well, accent or not, until yesterday I did not know what gooder'n grits meant, because I had never had grits. But let me tell you, they are GOOD! These grits tasted like corn butta and salt and they had super good texture. Yummmm...


The grits were from the cutest southern cafe and country store outside of Bellevue called the Loveless Cafe. Never was an old country cafe so quaint, food so fried, and biscuits so crispy and amazing as at the Loveless Cafe. I have the nicest postdoc in my lab, he and his wife took me for out for this southern experience.



Southern Fried Catfish, Fried Okra, Hushpuppies and Grits

Perhaps the best homemade preserves and definitely the BEST biscuits I have ever had!


So if you didn't know before, you realize now I am a food enthusiast... Ok, I am kind of obsessed with food. I love trying new foods and trying to make new foods too. Lets be real, I very often browse foodgawker in my spare time. Best website ever.

Anyway, so for the fourth of July me and my friends from my program went to Broadway (Nash Vegas) which was closed off for the Music City 4th of July Festival. There was great music, including Darius Rucker and some really good a capella group. It was great fun. And the best firework show I have ever seen.



Oh, and SOO MUCH FRIED FOOD. Southern cookin' for ya.



Buuttt... don't worry. I still miss California sometimes, so I drive out to Nolensville Pike where the Mexicana tiendas are. I can't go a whole summer without tostadas con queso fresco and Tapatío!


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying yourself so much. I haven't seen a decent fireworks show since I left Illinois. Have you been to the Pancake Pantry yet? It's in Nashville. All the country stars go there for breakfast. They have all kinds of breakfast stuff. The waitresses are all middle aged or older women. It was so good.

    ReplyDelete